Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Silicon Man by William Massa

Good

After the Omega virus has nearly destroyed the human race, Synthetika has introduced a line of androids that become increasingly more human. But some of these "mechs" want to be recognized as human beings. Agent Cole Marsalis, head of the elite AI-TAC (Artificial Intelligence Tactical Unit), is tasked with bringing these rogue machines down, and he soon finds himself in the middle of a debate that is causing a revolution.

This novel read more like an action movie. It honestly reminded me of a mix between I-Robot and Bicentennial Man. There's the classic ethical questions about what is human and what is not, and whether it is "okay" to treat humanoid creatures as slaves. There's also some other questions raised about the capabilities and morality of technology, as well as some questions about human nature. The writing was fast paced and full of action. I almost wished there was more downtime in the novel because as soon as it starts you're off and running.

The main character, Agent Marsalis, has kind of the same tragic back story as anyone else who hates robots in other stories. A robot was responsible for the death of his family. It's his need for revenge that drives him, and I honestly felt that I've seen this played out so many other times in this kind of story. Although there was plenty of this character's internal life, I still felt like he was a stock character.

I think my favorite part about this book was the way it portrayed the fight for rights for mechs. It was reminiscent of many of today's debates, and I liked how it showed the way other countries were responding as well. Overall, this was a fun read, and I would recommend it to fans of science fiction.

Buy Silicon Man by William Massa at Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment